Travel documents

Do I need a passport?

For most travelers it is required to have a passport, but bringing a passport is recommended for all travelers. Before leaving home, please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship.

Caution: The requirements described below are government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These travel documents include passports, visas, and inoculation certificates. For your protection, we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months following the voyage termination date.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship, may be prevented from entering a country, and may be subject to fines.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Domestic Travel Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires all travelers to and from the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other Department of Homeland Security approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States unless otherwise noted below. For more information on the program visit

WHTI complaint documents

  • A valid passport is already a requirement for international travel and for entering the United States by air.

Open-loop sailings

An open-loop cruise (voyages that begin in one U.S. port and end in another U.S. port) will require a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant document for entry or re-entry into the United States.

Closed-loop sailings

Only a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States.

U.S. and Canadian citizens on closed-loop cruises (voyages that begin and end at the same U.S. port), will be able to enter or depart the U.S. with a valid passport, U.S. passport card, U.S. enhanced driver's license, or trusted traveler program card such as a Nexus Card, Sentries Card or Fast Card.

In the absence of any other documents listed above, guests will be required to present both an identification and citizenship document from each of the lists below in order to embark the vessel.

Closed-loop identification documents

  • A laminated driver's license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, country, territory or municipal authority.

All identification documents must have a photo, name, and date of birth.

Closed-loop citizenship documents

  • U.S. birth certificate (original)
  • U.S. birth abroad certificate (original)
  • U.S. naturalization certificate (original)

International travel

A valid passport is required; visas are also required where they apply. This includes Europe, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, and Central/South America. For additional passport information visit

Our recommendation strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This is due to unforeseen circumstances in which it may be required. Passengers who miss their scheduled embarkation and need to fly out of the United States to meet their ship, guests entering the U.S. at the end of their cruises, and guests needing to fly to the U.S. before their cruise ends because of medical, family, personal or business emergencies, guests who miss a a ship's departure from a port-of-call, guests subject to involuntary disembarkation from a ship due to misconduct, and guests in other situations will all need a valid passport.

Non-U.S. citizens

You will need a valid passport and in some cases a visa. If you live in the U.S., you will also need the original copy of your alien registration card (ARC or "green card") and any other documentation the countries on your itinerary require due to your alien status.

Alien registration card (green card)

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their alien registration card issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States.

Card renewal is an important matter. ARC holders (United States permanent residents) with expired cards may be considered "out of status" and may be denied entry/re-entry into the United states. If your ARC was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your card is expired or it is about to expire, you should renew your card before you sail. If you are holding an old ARC without an expiration date, you will not be detained from entering the United States, but U.S. Customs and Border Protection highly suggests that you apply for a new card before you sail. For additional information visit


Please contact consular services of the embassy of each country on your sailing itinerary or the visa service of your choice for specific visa requirements, information, forms, and fees for your nationality.


All guests must ensure they are medically fit for travel. As such, we remind that you check with your physician at least 4 to 6 weeks before sailing to make sure you are up to date with any required immunizations or vaccines you may need (including but not limited to yellow fever vaccinations) to ensure you will be permitted to visit each of the exciting destinations and tours on your itinerary. Some countries enforce strict health regulations, and the ill will require documentation of inoculations. Please visit the WHO website at or the Center for Disease Control and Prevention at in advance to check what the current recommendations and policies are.

Travel Alert - Non U.S. Citizens

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (E.S.T.A)

Effective January 12, 2009, all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) travelers will be required to have an electronic travel authorization via the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. (E.S.T.A). Homeland Security has developed a web-based system that determines the eligibility of visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries (VWP) to travel to the United States. Please note citizens of the following countries who are NOT U.S. Residents (ARC or "green card" holders) must fulfill this requirement or entry to the United States may be denied:

Andorra Estonia Italy Malta Singapore
Austria France Japan Monaco Slovakia
Australia Finland Korea, Republic of Netherlands Slovenia
Belgium Germany Latvia New Zealand Spain
Brunei Hungary Liechtenstein Norway Sweden
Czech Republic Iceland Lithuania Portugal Switzerland
Denmark Ireland Luxembourg San Marino United Kingdom

Travelers must enter information into the following secure website: The Office of Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) expects the ESTA website to be fully operational by October 15, 2008. The website will initially be available in English only but will soon be translated into several languages. The information required is similar to that already required on the standard I-94W form currently in use. Travelers will receive real-time notification and the approval is stored in the electronic system for the traveler's convenience. Travelers may receive one of three responses:

Authorization approved → Travel authorized
Authorization pending → Traveler must check again within 72 hours for final response
Travel not authorized → Traveler must obtain a non-immigrant Visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate before traveling to the United States

Beyond enhanced security, the benefits for travelers ensure the future of the visa waiver program, require no visits to consulates if approved, is currently free to use, provides a fast response time, allows for last minute travel and is good for a duration of two (2) years including multiple trips. We ask that you please print a copy of your authorization approval directly from the website so that you may present it at embarkation.

Biometric Passports for Visa Waiver Countries

Theme by Danetsoft and Danang Probo Sayekti inspired by Maksimer